Gila Sher interviewed by Chen Bo:
I. Academic Background and Earlier Research:
1. Sher’s early years.
2. Intellectual influence: Kant, Quine, and Tarski.
3. Origin and main Ideas of The Bounds of Logic.
4. Branching quantifiers and IF logic.
5. Preparation for the next step.
II. Foundational Holism and a Post-Quinean Model of Knowledge:
1. General characterization of foundational holism.
2. Circularity, infinite regress, and philosophical arguments.
3. Comparing foundational holism and foundherentism.
4. A post-Quinean model of knowledge.
5. Intellect and figuring out.
6. Comparing foundational holism with Quine’s holism.
7. Evaluation of Quine’s Philosophy
III. Substantive Theory of Truth and Relevant Issues:
1. Outline of Sher’s substantive theory of truth.
2. Criticism of deflationism and treatment of the Liar.
3. Comparing Sher’s substantive theory of truth with Tarski’s theory of truth.
IV. A New Philosophy of Logic and Comparison with Other Theories:
1. Foundational account of logic.
2. Standard of logicality, set theory and logic.
3. Psychologism, Hanna’s and Maddy’s conceptions of logic.
4. Quine’s theses about the revisability of logic.